Now that I’ve walked you through the basics of getting ready and the first look, it’s time to talk about bridal party portraits! Getting 10-20 people to cooperate and look wonderful is not the easiest task in the world, but it’s so worthwhile.
If you choose to have a first look, all the bridal party portraits will be taken together at the same time prior to the ceremony. You should allow about 30 minutes for this portion. If there is no first look, I will separate the ladies and the guys to get each side’s pictures finished before the ceremony, and afterwards we will all come together for the entire group. For this setup, each side will need 15 minutes and the whole group will need about 15-20 minutes to capture everything!
Nathan and I work together to take posed and un-posed bridal party shots from every angle, so I won’t dive into that since we have it covered! Instead, here are some great tips to ensure this portion flows as smoothly as possible.
· Prep your bridal party in advance – let them know that the more cooperative they are, the faster everything will go! This is especially important for the guys. While I love laughing and joking around, we do need to get all pictures finished during this time so paying attention is key.
· Assign a point person – this can be the maid of honor and/or best man, but find the most responsible and attentive person in the bridal party to help out. Their job is to ensure that everyone from their side is in the right place at the right time and doesn’t wander too far away.
· Make sure they have their flowers – this is so often overlooked, but the ladies will need their bouquets and the guys should be wearing their boutonnieres, regardless of when the portraits are taken.
· Don’t forget the flower girls and ring bearers – you may not want all the little ones in your pictures but if you do, make sure they are ready and fully dressed early enough to be included.
If you have a big bridal party…that’s great! I will find out before the big day how many will be included in the pictures. If there are a lot, I will be in touch with you about creating some stunning portraits with everyone involved since it takes a bit more work. I promise it will be worth the extra effort!
· Expect to have fun – bridal party portraits are SO much fun when everyone is on board! These are your best friends in the whole world, so be ready to laugh and make some fun memories.
I promise that if you follow this advice your pictures will be both beautiful and stress-free and will showcase your relationships with each member of your bridal party. This is only the start of the party!